Blogging experts agree…. blogging isn’t for every business. However, they are a great promotion tool for some businesses. Blogging is an especially attractive marketing tool if your business is one that provides SERVICES to other business owners.
In my book, I reference Neil Rackham’s work on defining the two different types of sales. If you’re in business, your business is either making Minor sales or Major sales.
According to Rackham, your business is making Minor Sales if:
- There is a single decision-maker
- The buyer’s financial or emotional investment is low or insignificant
- The purchase does not warrant the time/energy necessary to research alternatives
- There is little interaction between you and the customer
- The consequences of making a purchasing mistake are inconsequential or insignificant.
On the other hand, your business is making Major Sales if:
- There is more than one decision-maker
- The buyer’s financial and/or emotional investment is significant
- The purchase warrants significant time and research into alternatives
- There is the potential for a long-term relationship between you and/or your business and the customer
- The consequences of making a purchasing mistake are high
If your business is making a major sale, then blogging is probably a GREAT choice for your business because educating your potential customers is an intricate part of the sales process. A blog can be a GREAT choice for niche marketing web site.
When you blog with your target customer in mind, you’ll end up with a blog that acts as a GREAT marketing tool for your business and are a great way to get your message through to your audience.